Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Big Mistake!

Walking into the Louis Vuitton store in San Francisco is a lot like going through airport security. I stood in a line at the door while the security guard searched the purses and bags of each person who was entering and thought, “Are they going to ask for my ID too?”
I entered the store and inhaled a distinctive scent of what, I know not, but I’m sure if the word “expensive” had a scent that would be it. I walked around the place, fascinated by the beautiful brown leather purses with the gold initials LV written all over them. There are even spotlights above the purses on the wall shelves. I was awed. All the while, my significant other is exclaiming at the “outrageous” prices of “just a purse” and that he could actually buy a car.
And then I saw it. “Perfection” was written all over it. It looked strikingly like the one Jennifer Aniston had. I had to have it—and even if I couldn’t have it, I just wanted to touch it. The purse was in a glass case and I looked around for a sales associate. My heart was pounding the words, “Open, open, open.” If love at first sight truly existed, this is probably what it would feel like.
There were no sales associates in sight. This was odd considering most sales associates in retail get paid based on commission. I thought there would be a flock of them smothering me but there were none.
I looked at the countertop for a bell to ring but instead a woman in a chocolate brown suit materialized and asked, “May I help you, miss?”
When I pointed at the purse, she raised an eyebrow at me. “This is $1095,” she said haughtily, not making the slightest gesture to open the case.
First of all, I don’t think I’d pay that much—not even for love. That’s not the point, however.
What does this scene remind of you of? I felt like Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman” except I wasn’t wearing cut-off shorts and over-the-knee boots. Even if I had been, who was she to judge? Am I not the one paying and she not the one working?
“Excuse me?” I asked, and rudely too I might add.
She repeated the price just as haughtily and even had the audacity to raise her chin up a notch. My jaw almost dropped at the rudeness of this lady. I couldn’t believe this was actually happening in real life—and to me!
My boyfriend tugged on my arm and told me that we should leave through the corner of his mouth. I didn’t budge. I’m pretty sure my face turned a deep red from the anger boiling up inside of me.
I usually avoid making scenes but the snobby sales associate put me on the edge. I was on the brink of speaking my mind when something incredible happened. Someone stood up for me!
Another customer in the store said, “I think everyone here is aware of the price. The young lady asked if she could see it. Is that a problem? Should we ask your manager?”
My heroine!
“No, never mind. I’m not interested in it anymore,” I said.
I almost wanted to flip my hair at the sales associate. Instead, I reenacted the scene from “Pretty Women.”
“Do you get paid based on commission?” I asked the sales associate.
“Yes,” she answered, confused at my question.
“Big mistake,” I said. “Big mistake.”
I winked at my heroine, turned on my heel and left that Louis Vuitton store. Behind me, I saw my defender leave as well and saying very loudly, “That salesperson is so rude!”

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Nicely done. :)

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Louis Vitton lost a sale, How sad! Lucky for you, that's half a semester's worth of tuition...

Your use of personal experience was a good way to approach the column and the anecdotes well-phrased. Pretty funny in spots and entertaining.

Suggestions: Write tighter sentences, use two words where you have three (in some cases). And perhaps paragraph (or use your software to indent)... the blocks of type seemed a little long.

One last thing: your full name should be in the About Me spot!

Good luck on your next shopping expedition...